Tuesday, June 25, 2024

MINERVA

 MINERVA

Minerva is a little shy

Pigtailed

And this lonely boy's fantasy 

She lives in a country house

With flowers in the windows

And a dainty "M"

In the middle of her screen door

She does not know

I have had visions of her

When my heels kick up the dust

Of these country roads


She wakes at 7 a.m.

Gathers fresh flowers from the meadows 

(Her 100 cats scratch at the window panes,

Awaiting her return.) 

She buys milk and eggs

From Mr. Buck's country store

And

Exchanges trivial remarks

About rain and sunshine

With the old men at the Main Street Inn


Minerva

Is a woman of the land

Attired in simple dresses and earth shoes

I am a shy man of honor and conscience 

Watching her activity

From my house across the way.

She does not know me except to smile and nod

She does not know I have had visions 

Of kissing her dry and windswept lips.

Beneath a canopy of bright summer stars.


-Bruce Potts

Copyright 2024

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...