Wednesday, August 19, 2026

DAYS OF SILVER

DAYS OF SILVER

(FOR KYLE, ON OUR 25th ANNIVERSARY)

These joyful days of silver I'm so proud to spend with you,

25 years ago you came and chased away my blues,

Parkinson's had just arrived and you became my dopamine,

A smart and dashing dynamo, a slender tender love machine. 

Off we went flying on our magic carpet ride,

Of concerts and travel and love true and tried.

We walked the streets of San Francisco, saw Britain, Paris, Rome,

It was the farthest we'd ever been from our home.

Shared our first time airplane flight, our first case of jet lag,

You sent me to the moon and I planted my flag

Joyful days we spent at Virginia Beach, Quebec and Montreal,

As lover and companion you always gave your all,

Then came the dreaded days when I began to fall.


Parkinson's crept slowly at first, but it finally overwhelmed,

You drove me to every doctor visit and bravely took the helm

Of this shattered shipwreck excuse for a brain,

You kindly and gently brought me in from the rain,

Always there to extend a hand when I take a tumble,

Solace sweet as honey when my world just seems to crumble,

A patient, loving carer who goes beyond the pale,

You turn this shipwrecked life around, allowing it to sail.


I will not lie, life is no longer a walk in the park,

It's clutching and clawing and damning ithe dark,

But you always seem to know what I need, 

Sweet compassion when I bleed, 

Tender romance or a kick in the pants.

Never doubt how much I admire, 

The way you stoke and light my fire.

As long as I live I will pillage and pilfer,

Each drop of joy from these sweet days of silver.


-Bruce Potts

Copyright 2026

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...