Saturday, November 12, 2011

FALLEN BY THE WAY

FALLEN BY THE WAY

It seems these days I’m fumbling,
Reaching for my lost North Star.

The golden meteor of my heart,
Falls to the earth after shooting so far.

And troubles like a mountain
On my shoulders dance and play.

Like children singing London Bridge,
And fallen by the way.

It seems these days I’m wistful,
And longing for my youth.

When my footsteps trod so strong and sure,
And my dreams they shone like diamonds.
Unsullied and so pure.

Before time came with its one, two punch,
And left me shipwrecked on the bay.

Before my life unraveled like a wanton, careless thread,
Spooling out and thrashing about,
Going for broke and left for dead,
A pawn in someone’s passion play,
Stranded fallen by the way.

My love, you may have rescued me,
For some brief point in time.
But the planets they are spinning
And my broken axis misaligned.
And I love you like a drunkard,
Lapping up his wine.
‘til the grapes hang sour and spoiled,
And rotting on the vine.

We can dance around it and ignore it though we may.
But I am bound for the heavens blue, and numbered are my days.
The archer draws and aims for my heart,
His quiver of arrows like a monster preys
And dances on my bedpost, fallen by the way.

I’m running out of chances, dreaming of old times,
The grand and golden heady rush.
Before my soul was bent and crushed.

Before my troubles like a mountain
Came to dance and play.
Like children singing London Bridge,
And fallen by the way.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2011
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...