Saturday, November 19, 2011

PROVERB

PROVERB

You came and taught me lessons,
On a day when it was raining.

When I was quite the neophyte,
An amethyst in training.

You came and taught me lessons,
And at first I did not listen.

‘Til the stars in your eyes they mesmerized,
And my world at last it glistened.

You became the soundtrack
And the backbeat to my days.
Like Groucho’s duck, my stroke of luck,
The secret word, the phrase that pays.
Plus any other hackneyed cliché
That you would care to send my way.

You were the genius unspoken, the subway token,
The late night flight to a much better place.
You were the spirit and the spark,
A talisman that ended the tailspin.
An artful dodger that snuffed out the dark.

You came and taught me lessons,
You asked nothing in return,
But you threw your arms around me,
And all my bridges burned.

In the black smoke swirling, I could see the phoenix rise,
Into the clear and cool blue ocean of your eyes.
And in there I have splashed about,
A student in your summer school.
And you have played the wise guy to my motley fool.

Where once my mouth was a leaky faucet,
Where once my brain was in a rush,
You have soothed the raging bull
And all my teardrops gently hushed.

You came and taught me lessons,
Together we have spanned the globe,
Me in my clothing of rags and wonder,
And you in your splendid robe.

You will be the one for me,
And you will write the final word,
Your wisdom it gleams silently,
Like a sweet enduring proverb.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2011
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...