Saturday, July 4, 2009

CRYING SHAME

CRYING SHAME

Crying shame that I sit in my ashes,
Choking on promises, nursing hot flashes.

Crying shame that love’s remains within this rough-hewn urn
Are eulogized by friends and strangers, as I do a slow burn.

Incineration becomes you, you unfortunate fool,
For I am bad at pardons and have flunked forgiveness school

Your transgressions are remembered all,
As you sadly slink your way back home,
And our love has met a dreadful fall
That rivals the collapse of Rome.

Crying shame that your wedding band
Has fallen on the hardest times
Covered in the seaweed buried deep beneath the salty brine.

A sailor boy in deep tarnished blue,
Will gasp for air and fade from view,
And die forgotten on the ocean floor,
Wondering what it all was for.

Drowning becomes you, you unfortunate fool,
For I am bad at CPR and have flunked the Golden Rule.
Crying shame that I cannot offer pardon for the way you plunder.
Your pirate garb too well becomes you,
And blows our sacred world asunder,

Crying shame that memory serves me,
A crying shame you crushed the dream.
Rigor mortis revs its engine, ripping every seam.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2008
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...