Monday, July 6, 2009

HARD TO RECONCILE

HARD TO RECONCILE

I try to love you, to see your good,
Yet there are days I imagine you in a white hood,
And I want to do a noisy wake-up dance
And shine a bright and blinding light
Upon your silly ignorance.

McCain’s too old, Obama’s too black,
The Mexicans are shifty,
And your closed mind attacks.

And what about Obama’s middle name?
What good can come of a man named Hussein?
And how can a person of charm and good faith
Be lost to his fear and a measure of hate?

I have no doubt you care for me, even though you know me well,
Yet I wonder if you truly think I shall suffer the coals of hell.
For having the gall to love another man,
And not to find some lucky woman
And fulfill Nature’s plan.

Is Anita Bryant alive in your soul?
Does her ghastly vision match your own?
Your beliefs your wear for the world to see,
You spout them right in front of me.

And though you’re kind and graceful and you greet me with concern,
Your beliefs they can and will not stand, yet you refuse to learn.
I try to love you and see your good,
I pretend I do not hear and see your subtle bigotry.
And though I am still civil and greet you with a smile,
Your beliefs, they are offensive, and hard to reconcile.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2008
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...