Sunday, June 30, 2024

YES, I LOVE YOU, BUT...

 YES, I LOVE YOU, BUT...

The purple night lifts its knife

And hits me where I hurt most 

Why did you run from my side

Desert me when I needed

Your guardian angel eyes


And yes,

I love you

But 

Where is the food

The drink

The luscious whipped dessert

You promised would be on the tray

Where are the hors d'oeuvres 

The cocktails

And those delicious little finger sandwiches


Man cannot live on extravagant gestures alone

If I am to love only you 

You must fill me up, leaving no doubts 

If not, I am hopping a train to the city


And yes, I love you 

But

Where is the food

The drink

The luscious whipped dessert 

You promised would be on the tray


-Bruce Potts

Copyright 2024

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


A poem from my archives circa 1983.  Do not for the life of me know who or what inspired it. I was not involved with anyone at that time in my life. I must have just been visited by an angry Muse!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...