Sunday, June 30, 2024

WATCH ME AS I FLY

 WATCH ME AS I FLY

I am sure that somewhere in the back of my closet

Tossed amidst the scrapbooks and shoes,

There's my own version of Dorian Gray

The one they see and love to hate

Just watch as I disintegrate.


Before the worms inch by to have their feast,

My body will be burned to ashes 

And I shall not care in the least,

Don't be surprised when the urn topples and smashes,

What remains of me can't be contained,

However much you try,

I'll be bound for the boundless sky,

So cower and seek cover,

For I shall always linger and hover

Just behind your jealous reach

A location that cannot be breached,

Until you take your own chariot ride

To the mighty mystic other side.


In the nighttime you will hear my Dorian Gray,

And you will see him in your mind's eye.

Falling like a suicide bomber out my window,

The last vestiges of my frail old self,

And all its silly foibles and mistakes.

Will fall and will not hesitate, to crumple and disintegrate.

All my sins will be heard and forgiven,

In the kindly vestibule of heaven. 


I am sure somewhere in the back of my closet,

Tossed between the scrapbooks and the souvenirs,

There's my own version of Dorian Gray,

The one they see and love to hate,

Just watch as I disintegrate.

A man you can no more disparage,

I shall mount my grand and golden carriage,

Blaze a path across the sky, just watch me as I fly.


-Bruce Potts

Copyright 2024

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...