Monday, August 19, 2024

TWENTY-THREE

TWENTY-THREE

(FOR KYLE ON OUR 23RD ANNIVERSARY)

Today I stop and deem myself a very lucky man,

For you came to me when I was drowning,

And there was sand in my shoes,

Filled me to the brim with treasures I could use,

All the bombs blasting detonated and defused,

In the cool cavernous reaches of your affection.


I knew you were the one for me 23 years ago today,

I gave you my heart and never looked back.

You and I were on the fast track as lovers and as friends,

And though we've weathered many a storm 

You were always there to keep me warm,

In the winters of disease and death.

We have had our mettle tested and emerged from the rubble,

Shielded from despair and lifted out of trouble 


I want to thank you today, for always standing by me,

For being my best friend and defender and my partner in this life,

For setting my spirit free to blindly, bravely soar,

For taking me on journeys I had never been before.

I thank you for unconditionally loving me,

For helping me up after a fall, for being there whenever I called.

From cane to walker to wheelchair and the phases in between

Through all the trials and travails and troubles unforeseen.

We have built this love stone by precious stone.

I look at you and marvel just how fast the years have flown.

Though we're only getting started and I know there's more to see,

I pause today and celebrate the wondrous twenty-three.


-Bruce Potts

Copyright 2024

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...