Friday, April 12, 2024

ORTHOSTATIC

ORTHOSTATIC

I am orthostatic,

Blood pressure dropping when I stand,

When the room begins to spin

And your legs can't comprehend

Just what's happening

You know to sit back down and chill

No dancing on the windowsill.


Such a helpless feeling

When you should be dancing on the ceiling,

Lionel Richie would not be pleased, 

At this new phase in my disease.


I am sitting down like a libertine,

While swallowing the Midodrine,

The latest addition to my arsenal of potions

To aid and abet my locomotion.

Unlike being automatic, photographic, acrobatic,

Unlike feeling sharp and sure,

I end up feeling down and dour,

Unsure of where to go.

i am orthostatic, charmed by the vertigo,

Teetering on the brink of disaster 

I swear I can't dance any faster.


Orthostatic's an impressive word, it sounds downright benign.

When I am orthostatic, I cannot walk a straight line,

Swear I am fine, no, I'm not drunk,

But all the blood to my legs has sunk.

It's just a hypotension thing

You probably would not understand

How Parkinson's and orthostatic

Tend to saunter hand in hand.

I am orthostatic, limping and lunging,

Blood pressure falling, dangerously.plunging

Into the murky depths of sweet forgetfulness.


-Bruce Potts

Copyright 2024

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Bruce, very enlightening and compassionate

    ReplyDelete

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...