Saturday, April 9, 2011

PEACE

PEACE

Daisy child, flower child,
Wave your fragrant rose, back and forth beneath my nose.

And help me stop my crying and start my trying all over again.

Tell me who you are and where you’ve been
And lay your gentle body here by mine for all time.

Daisy child, flower child, we walked the earth together,
Sharing both the bad and good, the sun and rainy weather.

You were once my compass, my bold and vibrant touchstone,
Comforted me on many a night I would have spent alone.

You cleaved to me and shared my dream, catered to my every scheme,
And looked into my lonely eyes and pierced my thin disguise.

The eagle soars above the dreamer’s head like wildfire.
Lightning strikes at the unrepentant dead without tire.

The world, its pains and promises still thrives.
This earth belongs to the alive.
Peddle your posies straight in my direction,
Lay in my arms, give yourself to sweet reflection.

Daisy child, flower child, you were sweet and you were wise.
Now you belong to the universe and to the teeming skies.
Every year I make the pilgrimage to your grave,
And lay a silk arrangement on the ground wherein you lay.
And pause to take my inventory of a love that will not perish.
A love that still survives the years, a love I’ll always cherish.

Daisy child, flower child, my steps begin to falter,
As I lay this floral sacrifice upon your stony altar.
And though I’m old, I keep your picture folded in the Bible’s crease.
The thought of you brings me silent peace.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2011
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...