Monday, March 28, 2011

DISABLE ME

DISABLE ME

Disable me, like an errant anti-theft device,
Disable me, like a broken piece of sidewalk ice,
Break me up in little morsels, quaint and bite size,
And look at me through compassionate bureaucratic eyes.

Disable me, before I blow my furious stack,
Leave me twisting slowly, like a criminal on the rack.
Disable me like a low down smoke alarm,
Devoid of proper functioning, devoid of helpful charm.

Disable me, before I have to fill out one more form,
To justify I need assistance, refuge from my inner storm,
Disable me, my mind is hazy, I may be going slightly crazy,
Disable me, feel my forehead, I feel a little warm.

I’m sick and tired of insurance, COBRA’s like a vicious snake,
And HIPAA’s like a loose woman, to cause your heart to break.
What earthly good is Medicare, when I need relief today?
And Medicaid won’t get me paid or my execution stay.

Disable me, disable me, before I cut my carotid vein,
And shower the world in a flood of blood, down on you like a rain.
Disable me, before I hurl, I’ve been thrown for a dreadful whirl.
Underneath the Mack truck’s tire, my white flag comes unfurled.

I surrender, I capitulate, I must surrender to my fate,
And throw myself down on my knees, beseeching social security,
For just a lucky Fate-drenched chance, asking me to slow dance.

Disable me, like an errant anti-theft device,
Disable me, aren’t you in the least bit nice?
Crack me like a hapless whip, before I fall, before I slip.
Before I bite, before I hiss and fall down off the precipice.
Break me up in little morsels, oh so quaint and bite size,
And look at me through sympathetic bureaucratic eyes.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2011
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...