Monday, March 28, 2011

CRACK IN THE FOUNDATION

CRACK IN THE FOUNDATION

It didn’t take a contractor with his demolition crew,
It didn’t take the OSHA man, in fact it just took you,
To find the crack in the foundation on which I built my life,
Rudderless and lifeless, like a shipwreck in the night.

And so I celebrate the legend, the tall tale and the myth,
Of how you polished up my soul ‘til it gleamed just like an amethyst.
How you sang away my sorrow with each imperfect note,
‘til now the ship is new again, just watch me as I float.

It didn’t take a salvage man with his massive wrecking ball,
It didn’t take three musketeers with their all for one and one for all,
To find the crack in the foundation on which I had staked my claim,
The loophole in the dotted line on which I’d signed my name.
A life that had all but washed away in the dirty burnt out sands,
A thirsty, parched and lonely pilgrim, traversing sacred lands.

It didn’t take an architect with his nouveau riche designs
Or a doctor with his stethoscope to see the deadly signs.
It only took your tender heart and your hands of tender grace,
To wash away the tear stains that had streaked across my face.

And so I raise my glass up high, upwards to the happy sky
That shines its light upon our days in a gentle golden glaze.
And makes my life as sweet as a chocolate meringue pie,
Silky and smooth, in a velvet groove ,with a cherry on top too.

It didn’t take a plumber, with his plungers and his drains,
Or the scarecrow who saved Dorothy with his newfound set of brains,
To find the crack in my foundation on which I’d staked my claim,
To find the hope in my horoscope, the beauty in my soiled name.

All it took was your tender heart and your hands that were gentler still,
To hold me gently as I shook, with the strength of your iron will.
It didn’t take a sorcerer or a witch with her tired and tainted brew.
To save me from my haunted self, all it took was you.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2011
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...