Monday, March 28, 2011

CAPSIZED

CAPSIZED

Floating down life’s bitter stream, in my small canoe,
Like some awful waking dream, too sordid to be true.
A life that once was royalty, a life that once was rhapsodized,
The canoe is overturning, the banana boat has capsized.

My memory sparks with the fragments of who I used to be,
Back when the neurons fired with ease and great proficiency.
Living here with stupid, where once I lived with wise,
My demons gain the upper hand, my angels have been capsized.

The seasons turn and with them seems to turn my world,
The winter has engulfed my soul, its bitter winds unfurled.
I wrap the scarf around my neck as tight as a burial shroud,
But I can’t escape the fast approach of the teeming mushroom cloud.

It comes and taps me on the shoulder, spreading fast its fury,
And I am lost and I am tossed into the seas of worry.
Never sure and never secure, never knowing where my life is going,
The storm outside is now within, my heart is cold and snowing.
The misery is palpable, I’m listening to the blatant lies,
Of tongues that wag in unison, ‘til life is all but capsized.

Where have all the days of glory gone, headfirst into the sun,
I am in my corner of the world, despised by everyone.
Despised by some for who I am, by others for who I’m not.
Married to my misery, I take the plunge and tie the knot.

And sorrow is my newfound spouse, we live alone in this haunted house,
Stolen moments, remnants of joy, scurry away like a rabid mouse.
A life that once was glorious, a life that now is eulogized,
A heart that once was filled with promise, a heart that now lies capsized.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2011
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...