Thursday, January 21, 2010

DRIFTING FAR

DRIFTING FAR

Getting oh so close to heaven,
Oh, so close but no cigar.

I have wandered aimlessly, following your star.

Star that always leads to sorrow,
Falls to pain and a sad tomorrow.

Leaves me struck by lightning,
The desperate and the frightened ones,
They join me in my vigilance.
Dodging threats and epithets
In a strange St. Vitus dance,

Praying for a better day,
A rising sun, a second chance.

Getting oh so close to freedom,
Oh so close but no bouquet,
Tripping on the petals you scattered in my way,

Only black and bitter roses that you left me in your wake,
The werewolf meets his silver cross,
The vampire finds his stake.

Getting oh so close to winning,
Oh, so close, yet not the gold.

The silver and the bronze await me,
Yet they leave me strangely cold.

Getting oh so close to heaven,
Oh so close but no cigar,

Sailing on my sea of tears,
Alone and drifting far.


-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2010
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...