Monday, September 21, 2009

WHY CAN'T I FLY

WHY CAN’T I FLY?

Why can’t I fly, just spread my wings and soar?
Why to the ground am I tethered, withered to the core?
Like a struggling plant without the nutrients it needs,
My heart is made of tired blood and clings unto my sleeve.

Why can I not celebrate, why can I not speak?
The words that issue from my mouth indecipherable as Greek.
Why can I not stand erect, why must I need a nap?
At every hour on the hour in my stocking cap.

Why must all I long to be lie buried in a tomb,
Until the gods of stem cells enchant with their perfume.
Why can’t I be blissful, why can’t I be gay?
Content to snag the remnants of blessings sent my way.

Why must I be perfect, and shrink against mistakes?
The more I travel onward, the higher grow the stakes.
And I must live unblemished from sins and from omissions
And hold to a higher standard of grace and of permission.

Why can I not levitate and will myself to higher ground?
Why can I not be present when the horn of Gabriel sounds?
Why can I not be patient, why can my hands not pray?
Why can God not hear me, a lamb that’s gone astray?

Why can’t I just fly, fling myself from this tower high?
My sun is slowly setting and evening’s drawing nigh.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2009
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...