Tuesday, September 22, 2009

DISSERTATION

DISSERTATION

My theme today is weighty, not for the faint of heart.
I scarcely know where to begin, I don’t know how to start.
I have a strange flirtation, to pen my dissertation.
To sum up this life in a sentence or two,
To pass on for posterity some things I’ve learned to you.

Life can be a scary monster, it can chew you up and swallow you whole,
Sometimes it takes you places you would just as soon not go.
Life is a master teacher of suspense and of surprise,
The subtle tender mercies that live in a lover’s eyes.
Life is like a rollercoaster, life is like a rainbow.
Life is a shining prism that reflects your inner soul.

My theme today is heady, like some rare, expensive wine.
My theme today is slow decay and the shifting sands of time.
My theme today is that there isn’t much I know for sure.
But life is never perfect and life is seldom pure.

I have the inclination to write my dissertation,
Without artifice or show and without affectation.
Life is like a football scrimmage, you are tackled by your fate,
And every lesson that you learn seems to come too late.

My themes today are life and death, in all their blazing glory.
A strange but grand mythology to all who hear my story.
My theme today is crushing and can bring you to your knees
With only God in heaven to hear your silent pleas.
And what of God and his existence, what are we to think?
For life can be a bitter brew that man is made to drink.

My theme today is travel, and what happens when we die.
And now I lay me down my pen with one last final sigh.
My chariot at last has come, I’m bound for yonder sky.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2009
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...