Wednesday, September 23, 2009

FOR LIFE'S SAKE

FOR LIFE’S SAKE

I am anxious for the future, but still I believe,
That a shred of hope lingers
In each fragile leaf that falls from the tree,

In each rippling stream that gushes toward the lake,
Still I believe in life for life’s sake.

I am worried for tomorrow, bogged down in my sorrow.
Like a weeping willow tree I bend,
Close to breaking and at wit’s end.

Still I believe there are mountains to climb,
Reasons to linger in the passageways of time.

I believe in noisemakers and streamers
And the butter cream icing on birthday cake.

Worn down by the ages, I slowly turn the pages
And bask in the glory of life for life’s sake.

Life stands in stark relief, it has its own reasons
With pomp and with pride it shows off its seasons.

And though it is often grossly unkind,
I still believe in the lessons of time.
As we grow older, we trade in our youth
For bittersweet memories and unfiltered truth.

And perhaps we grow more cynical, perhaps we grow more jaded.
Yet long after youth and beauty have faded,
We cling to the genuine, and let go of the fake,
And live triumphantly, life for life’s sake.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2009
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...