Friday, June 12, 2009

SOMETHING ABOUT THE RAIN

SOMETHING ABOUT THE RAIN

Though I am a fan of sunshine,
And consider her my sweetheart dear,

There’s something about the rain,
That whispers meaning in my ear,

Nourishment to anorexic Mother Earth,
Who is haunted by her body image, craving a makeover.

I appreciate the rain as I wither and grow older,
A metaphor for those I’ve lost,
Mistakes for which I’ve paid a cost.
Times when I was mild and meek
And wish I had been bolder.

And when it rains, oh, how it pours,
How tears flow like a fountain
For all the losses we’ve endured.

There’s something about the rain that comforts
As it splashes on the asphalt street.
Sharing an umbrella with my love, it made my day complete.
That day at the Judy Collins show,
Her voice like the rain, silver and sweet.

Though I am a fan of sunshine, and resist the harsh winds when they blow.
I’m old enough to treasure the raindrops,
weary enough to welcome the rainbow.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2008
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...