Sunday, June 30, 2024

THE LIFE AND TIMES OF DUDLEY BOSTWICK

THE LIFE AND TIMES OF DUDLEY BOSTWICK

So long, William Saroyan,

Don't you know you were a part of my history?

Almost like a father when I flew across that stage.

You sent me dear Elsie, the love of my life,

And Lorene Smith, who tempted me on the telephone.


I heard today of your passing.

I want to say your legacy lives on, deep in my soul,

And would haunt me if I gave it half a chance.


So long, William Saroyan,

Do not get to brooding.

Buy a few beers in heaven's tavern.

And with your newfound angel ears

Listen as I get nostalgic, 

As my heart pumps special memories.


I remind myself of Joe and Tom and Harry and Kit Carson,

Of hopeful pinball wizards, delightful floosies,

colorful longshoremen, lonesome sailors,

and nasty, nasty Blick.


The Missouri Waltz dances across my brain

And somewhere in the haunts of Nick's Pacific Palace

The life and times of Dudley Bostwick hover.


-Bruce Potts

Copyright 2024

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED/


I was moved to write this poem when William Saroyan died. I had played Dudley R. Bostwick in his play "The Time of Your Life" in high school so that was my connection to Saroyan. If you've read or seen the play, you'll understand what I'm trying to convey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...