Friday, March 8, 2024

TORTOISE

 TORTOISE

I want to be a tortoise not a hare,

For hares are hyperactive, hopping here and there

A tortoise takes life slow and easy

As when venturing out to criscross the road

Other creatures would be downright queasy

To leave their warm and cozy abode,

But a tortoise just says what the hell,

I look so damn handsome carrying my shell

Surely the cars and drivers will stop for me

If not, a pox on them and their progeny.

A tortoise does a hearty meet and greet

Right smack dab in the middle of the street.


I have been both tortoise and hare,

I once was the rabbit, hopping here and there,

So much to accomplish, so much to achieve.

I jumped in head first, I rolled up my sleeves.

When daylight faded I was still at my post.

Of gigantic feats I would proudly boast.

Once more from the frying pan into the fire,

A tightrope walker pressed into the fray,

Balancing so delicately on the highwire

'Til disease held me squarely in its top heavy sway.


Now I am a tortoise, creeping inch by inch

Curling up for a needed nap on the nearest park bench

Traversing busy highways with nary a thought,

Of whether I should or whether I ought.

Proceeding through the red lights without any hurry,

No need to ruminate and no need to worry.

I trust in the Lord and the hard shell on my back,

I have a relish for this life, I have a certain knack. 

I am a proud terrific tortoise and I slowly make my way

Through the vast vicissitudes of this glorious golden day.


-Bruce Potts

Copyright 2024

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Bruce for sharing your life experience through poetry. Beautiful, wishing you many glorious golden days. Phila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Phila! It means a lot!

    ReplyDelete

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...