Friday, March 22, 2024

BREAKFAST WITH A FRIEND

 BREAKFAST WITH A FRIEND

(FOR BARRY)

You were the one that for years I woke up to,

I heard you first on WFFV and heard you play The Bridge by Janis Ian,

Such a pivotal moment for me and such a welcome feeling.

It was then I knew you had great taste ln music 

And it was there that I resolved I would one day know you better.

Flash forward to 1986, when I had become besotted with WINC,

When the smooth as silk Frank Mitchell took an interest in my audition tape

And to my awe and wonder added my voice to the radio landscape.


By that time you were doing mornings at WINC with your partner Don James.

A suave and dapper gentleman whose real last name was Kurzenknabe.

I became fast friends with both of you and the rest of the motley morning crew.

Radio evangelist Billy Boy Baines and his organist Ms. Flossie too. 

The almost right reverend would take it from the top and claim to heal you on the spot.

Officer Safety, gardening tips with Papa Bean, Clarence the maintenance engineer.

And all the others in between to tease and tantalize the ear.

Plus the buxom, high strung boisterous Aunt Sue, 

Who warned smooching in public was something you daren't do.

So many different personalities in such tight and little spaces

Hardly room enough for you and Don to say good morning to our faces.


I remember answering calls from schools with you and Steve on snow days,

The hustle and bustle of nonstop cancellations from near and from far,

Afterwards we piled in Steve Edwards' magic big blue boat of a car

And plowed effortlessly through the snow to Shoney's breakfast bar..


Years passed by, with different morning partners for you, 

Kauleen Sharp, Lisa Herndon, and Katie G, to name a few,

Your belief in me sustained me my entire career through.

I went from overnights to Sunday mornings yet still you kept in touch.

Even to this very day I still owe you so much;

It was a guest, Tonie Wallace, from your Cable Talk show, who began my next full time career,

A career that spanned sixteen years and gave me my Bebbee and my tango dancer,

Two friends who kept me laughing and sent my heart flying over the moon,

Good friends Barbara and Sue, and my friend Paula Strader who left us far too soon.

Tonie and Greig hired me io proof their company's transcripts,

I proofread, commas dancing in my head, giving my spirits a lift.

 

I remember coming out to you in the parking lot of WINC,

How your love and your acceptance meant so much to me,

I remember the chili parties at your cabin in Meadow Mills,

With Don James' daughter Kim and her husband Buddy keeping me company,

Making it easier to be a wallflower with social anxiety.

I remember the many kindnesses 

From you and Mary your splendiferous wife,

Who was my journalism teacher in my teenage life.

And guided me in publishing the WacoHighlights.


So I thank you for these memories and those we continue to make.

For you and Mary coming to see me and Kyle,

Reliving those golden radio days with a wink and a smile.

For caring for the community, the good vibes from your podcast,

The stories and the wisdom and the laughs I know will last.

The twinkle in your eye and your mischievous stupendous grin.

And all the myriad pleasures, of breakfast with a friend.


-Bruce Potts

Copyright 2024

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...