Wednesday, August 18, 2021

INSTEAD

 INSTEAD

(FOR KYLE, ON OUR 20th ANNIVERSARY)

On our 20th anniversary,

I am laid up by a fall,

Cannot get out to buy a card,

Movement is an order tall.

With all the time that's hurried by,

I sit in awe and shake my head,

And pen a paean to the life

I have shared with you instead.


I write of travel, Paris, Rome, Quebec and Montreal.

Our myriad trips around the sun,

I have loved and savored all.

In my dreams I can revisit them,

Just cast my shells upon the sand,

I close my eyes and gladly go,

To Ireland or to Amsterdam.


Since my illness you have been,

My North Star ever bright,

Chasing down my walker,

Keeping me upright.

Praying I do not fall again, 

Harder for you than for me,

Putting up with the mockery and the tease,

Of this strange, savage disease


So in place of a card or a festive balloon,

How about years  of memories,

And a quiver of arrows to shoot out the moon?

I send to you a cavalcade,

Orchestrate a grand parade to get inside your head.

I will pen this paean to the love

I have shared with you instead.


-Bruce Potts

Copyright 2021

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...