Friday, April 9, 2021

YOU'LL WANT TO DANCE ON RAINBOWS

YOU'LL WANT TO DANCE ON RAINBOWS

I'm going to have to keep

A beady little eye on you.

Your lips are growing redder,

Animated, randy.

Your mind is dancing pole vaults,

Your dreams are homespun candy

The next thing I know

You'll want to dance on rainbows.

Your fingers will itch, your feet will twitch,

You'll point your toes and soar.

And you'll want me to accompany you,

On this trip of a blithesome mind.

I wonder- am I lost if I leave my brooding world behind? 

Who knows what I should do,

When the clown with bright circles under her eyes

Hands me her card with her solace song and business phone,

Implores me call her should I need her.

You're repairing lives, I have to watch you close and harder.

If you drag out your screwdrivers and ply me with strong drink,

What would happen I shudder to think.

I might slip out of my disciplined self-denial

And fall a vanquished martyr.

How dare you chance to take from me, 

My cold but splendid misery.

I love you little jester, but you make the tides convulse.


Next thing I know, you'll want me to dance on rainbows,

You'll make my fingers itch, my feet to twitch,

We'll point our toes and soar,

On this trip of a blithesome mind.

I wonder- am I lost if I leave my brooding world behind?


-Bruce Potts

Copyright 2021

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...