Monday, February 9, 2015

CRASHING THROUGH THE WALLS OF JERICHO

CRASHING THROUGH THE WALLS OF JERICHO

Each day closer, tumbling I go,
Crashing through the walls of Jericho.

Each day closer to the Savior,
To my everlasting joy,
My one last chance to curry favor,
This lost and lonely boy.

Each day closer my footsteps they falter,
And I lay myself at the foot of the altar.
To the great kingdom of the Great I Am,
Each day closer to a sacrificial lamb.
Led from my tears to the last looming slaughter,
Into the vacuum of earthly sons and daughters.

All of God's children, so flawed and yet so free,
That have fallen asleep and bravely gone before me.
Down that great tunnel and into the Light.
Past the realm of earthly sight.
Down that ancient road, the stairs and the landing,
The valley of peace that passes understanding.

Each day closer, I can hear the distant rumbling.
This earthly frame collapsing and all its pillars crumbling.
Crumbling back to the elements, water and its remnant dust,
Each day inching closer to that final walk of trust.

Each day closer to the meantime,
To life the absurd and life the sublime.
The bittersweet muted pleasures of the flesh,
With its warmth and its cuddling and its pulsating sex.
Each day closer to the Puritan,
Each day closer to Walt Whitman,
Each day closer to the Everyman,
Whose freedom he once championed.

Each day closer to each fellow traveler,
In a space past politics, past the hatred of religion,
Each day closer to ending the race,
With the faltering of this wayward engine.

Each day closer to the Carpenter, to the Buddha and the Saints,
Each day closer to the innocence of a childhood finger paint.
Each day closer to the quest and the answers,
The fight of the spirit, the flight of the dancers.
Each day closer I arise and go,
Crashing through the walls of Jericho.

-Bruce Potts
Revised Copyright 2015
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...