Sunday, June 22, 2014

STRANGE SAD REAL ESTATE

STRANGE SAD REAL ESTATE
              (FOR KYLE)

You set up housekeeping,
Here in my abandoned soul,

Cleared the spider webs away
With your lantern fueled by coal.

Emptied the attic, uncovered my treasures
Of fine silk and of baby's breath,

Breathed new life into the rafters,
Cleared away the stench of death.

You made my bed anew with roses,
Vacuumed up the prickly thorns,

Strewed the petals sweet before me,
Like a lord unto the manor born.

You dusted every bedside table,
Plugged up every leak,
Polished the faucets 'til they gleamed,
And charmed my heart with your mystique.

Cleaned the carpets clogged with fear,
The kitchen of its clutter,

Took the bars from off the windows,
Removed the locks from off the shutters.

You set up housekeeping in my soul,
With designs so delicate and smart,

And overwhelmed with love divine,
The strange, sad real estate of my heart.

-Bruce Potts
Revised Copyright 2014
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...