Saturday, June 18, 2011

THE YEARNING

THE YEARNING

Some people live for the thrill of the chase,
Forever in search of their niche or their place,
Not knowing joy if it slapped them in the face.

Always forever fans of the yearning, to live perpetually in desire,
Always dreaming of new passion, the promise of the fire.
Never knowing a soul mate sent from heaven above.
From one night stand to one night stand, mistaking sex for love.

But I have lived for long enough to know,
That yearning it can be a sham.
Long enough to know just what I want, who and what I am.
And I know by now that you’re the one who sets my heart to singing.
Though there was no great cacophony of cathedral bells ringing.
No grand exploding meteorite landing right in front of me.
It was a sweet and quiet knowing, yet it set my spirit free.

Too much of the yearning destroys the soul.
Drains the spirit of its zest, swallowing it whole.
Now all I yearn for is for joy to light each path down which you walk,
To shout my love into the heavens, to let the people talk.
To wag their tongues, say what they will of the way in which I live.
And though I’m quick to anger, I know how to forgive,
The ignorance and misguided fear, they carry with them year to year.
The luggage of grudges they carry around, that falls like lead upon the ground.
Intolerance and ignorance throughout the world resound.

Some people bundle their emotion and keep it all inside,
I wear my heart upon my sleeve and hold you close with pride.
And as our love just grows and grows and the earth just keeps on turning.
I live for the thrill of your hand holding mine and let go of the yearning.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2011
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...