Saturday, June 11, 2011

ONE-SIDED LOVE

ONE-SIDED LOVE

Only one person cares to trill a love song
Of one-sided tenderness.

The Cedars of Lebanon quake from the mountainside.
Beside a crystal lake, its silver waters flowing,
In a lonely wisp of flame, of orange sunsets glowing.
In the lonesome meadow where a lonesome moon hangs sleeping,
I lie a broken spirit, subdued and softly weeping.

For a one-sided love took a one-sided plunge,
Into the lake of a new love’s fire.
Born of a strange and a new desire,
The tightrope dancer on the wire, walks the shadowy mile.
A catalog of stories in a sweet refrain,
Echoes through the valley, shouting out his name.
A handful of dandelions he gathered from the field,
Scatter thus like the ash and dust that forced my heart to yield.

In keeping with the desert balls of fire,
Scorching suns dry up the winsome afternoons.
Alleys of the night, cedar trees on display,
His hands they groped me in the dark,
His lips showed me the way.
The sands are stirred, the wind it whips,
He and his magic fingertips,
Between the satin sheets, seduced by ravenous lips.

Sad, secret tales of a one-sided love,
Creep like the memory of melodies dead and dying,
Out of the frying pan into the fire, illusion free and flying,
Safe from the crypt of you and your tired iron will,
The ashes fall like timber from these vagabond hills.

I wake from a nightmare, sweating in my underclothes.
The ghost of a one-sided fantasy in the home of the deposed,
An old man with his rambling recollections
Shrieks his dead regrets to a weary, withered twilight.
I never got close enough, to fling my arms around you tight.
The cedar trees, robed in kingly majesty,
The giant of your love’s sweet ecstasy,
Are too tall taunts of my diminutive size.
Unknowingly you mock me with your reckless eyes.

I walk with a vision, burning at my fingertips,
The taste of your mouth wreaking havoc on my lips.
Night erupts from gentle day, the Cedars of Lebanon come out to play,
Their branches whipping as they heave and bend,
Your name is lost upon the fickle wind.
The evening wails, its sad and secret tales.
Loneliness tears at the only one who cares,
To sing his lonely song, fist in velvet glove.
The melancholy melody of a one-sided love.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2011
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

AUTHOR'S NOTE: A new poem about life BK (Before Kyle).

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...