Saturday, May 21, 2011

SWIFTLY FALLS THE NIGHT

SWIFTLY FALLS THE NIGHT

Swiftly falls the night,
It burns like a firefly or a street lantern,
Searing my soul with its desolate veil,
Filling my dark heart with its billowing sail.

Swiftly falls the night, and I am lost without you,
Though the moon shines through, awesome and bright.

I skate upon the Milky Way, my life in tattered disarray,

And all my fears come trembling, like streams from a fountainhead.
Numbness fills me head to toe, my senses have gone dead.

Like nails upon a chalkboard, a streak of sudden dread,
And I am helpless, hopeless, doomed,
Trapped inside this lonesome room.

I dream I am estranged from you, the tears they turn to waterfalls,
Cascading down my craggy face, like insects how they crawl.

How they sketch their tale of woe, the wrinkles and the worry lines.
The stars fall naked on my pillow, their luster gone that once did shine.

And somewhere beneath the firmament, amidst this gloom of fallen gold,
You sleep in peace with some new love who has you in his hold.

Swiftly falls the evening, it burns like a comet careening into dust,

And I dream that you are lost to me, our love fades melting into rust.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2011
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...