Saturday, April 30, 2011

DREAM STATE

DREAM STATE

In the dream state, in the sleep state, I have held and loved you long.

Long before you came to me and life at last made sense,
I formed you in the vapors of a foggy adolescence.

A road paved with the sweat of a thousand fruitless searches.
I looked for you in dormitories, libraries, and churches.

In the dream state, in the sleep state, I have summoned you beside me,
Hoping Fate would weave its web and send you here to guide me.

In the dream state, in the keep state, I have found you on the stairway,
Dressed in black, my Johnny Cash, inviting me with family tales,
Rescuing me from the deathly hallows and the lonesome sand and shale.

Sitting at your kitchen table, catching myself falling,
Past and future blending and all my senses calling,

In the dream state, in the stream state, of consciousness ascending,
Two lives await completion, hand in hand unending.
Your body warm and beckoning, my day of final reckoning.

In the dream state, in the sleep state,
I have held and loved you long,
Before I found the treasured bliss that my life in stillness missed,
I heard within a fog-like din your tempting siren song.

Long before your lips met mine, here in the present tense,
I tossed and turned on the dangerous shores of a reckless adolescence.
Endured the barbs and the taunts of the crowd,
Yet followed the sound of my heart beating loud,
To the threshold of your open and inviting door.
Swept inside on your welcome ride, I pined for love no more.

And now I glide and soar with you, now I am gently floored by you,
My angel and my lover,
In the dream state, in the sweet state, of nightfall’s magic cover.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2011
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...