Saturday, June 19, 2010

LOSING TOMORROW

LOSING TOMORROW

Here I stand at the end of the line,
Pocketing daydreams, guzzling wine.

Holding out hope for this love that we share,
While all of our dreams disappear in the air.

Here I stand hungrily outside your door,
Longing for peace but finding a war.

And weapons of mass destruction abound,
Strewn in anger across the cold ground.

Where can I wander, where can I roam
And find a safe haven that I can call home?

For love has turned chilly, bitter and cold
And I travel alone in the deep winter snows.

Here I stand at the end of our dream,
Where we go from one to the other extreme.
You love then you hate but can never agree,
Just what it is you are wanting from me.

I shiver alone, a helpless Jack Frost,
Helpless, uncharted in the land of the lost.

All roads do merge and converge where you are,
My beautiful lover, my dreamer, my star.
And it’s hard to believe that we’ve run out of time,
That the sun in our heaven no longer shines.
That the days tumble slowly in reckless malaise,
Immune to our suffering, deaf to our praise.

Here I stand at the end of the line,
Begging for love that was once rightly mine.
Clinging to memories, dreams laced with sorrow,
Perched on the precipice, losing tomorrow.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2010
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


2 comments:

  1. I broke up once in my 52 years of life, but in my youth I was dumped many a time before it got started. Last stanza would make a great chorus... I'll save the piece and who knows.. I've done some collaborating before. If you're game... Ha... this is genderless... some song writers recommend that so that it can switch male to woman... of course gay to straight would work too. HA.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave- I'm always game if I can get a co-write and some exposure. My poetry collection of the same name as this blog is languishing in the Library of Congress. Mold or termites have gotten to it for all I know. I've had offers from vanity publishers but I can't afford them and the "legit" publishers seem to all want you to have an agent. Of course, mainly I write for myself so probably I should just quit my kvetching. Thanks for your comment! -Bruce

    ReplyDelete

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...