Friday, February 5, 2010

WHATEVER WAITS AROUND THE BEND

WHATEVER WAITS AROUND THE BEND
(FOR KYLE, FOR VALENTINE‘S)

Oh my dear, oh how I love you
And how you rip the clouds to shreds,
And how you mend the tattered day,
With your magic healing threads.

How you meet me on the edge,
And coax me down from off the ledge.
How you’ve come and rescued me,
Like a grateful Lazarus from the dead.

In these times of turmoil, in these days that try the soul,
You’re a good stiff drink of moonshine,
A cup of coffee strong and bold.

Oh my dear, how I treasure you,
For you are my grace and hopefulness,
You dam the torrent of my tears,
And cause the flood to crest.
You fill me like a home-cooked meal
And take away my weariness.

Like a distant star on the horizon,
You herald lonely sorrow’s end.
When the sad times come and beat their drum,
You are my best and only friend.

Oh my dear, how I adore you,
My baubles you have to turned to treasure
And you have changed my straw to gold
With mercy deep and dreams to keep,
And laughter in good measure.

In these times of illness, in these times of woe,
You hold me tight in the dark of night
And promise not to let me go.

And you and I will write the chapter
From now until the ever after.
You will be the healing balm that lasts from now until the end,
Whatever lurks in the darkest corner,
Whatever waits around the bend.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2010
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...