Friday, November 27, 2009

LIVING FOR TWO, LIVING FOR YOU

LIVING FOR TWO, LIVING FOR YOU

I promised you I’d call you, when I got safely home,
And then forgot your number, that was my first mistake.
And then a little thing called 4-1-1 never seeped into my brain,
Which seems to be getting smaller by the day, more stupid and inane.

Then happily I went to bed, secure in my repose,
Only to be awakened by a pounding on the door.
I peeped through the peep hole and saw your face
And promptly though, oh, oh-
Was there something I forgot to do,
that prompted this late rendezvous?

When I was a single man, I knew or thought nobody cared,
And I could be reckless with my life as often as I dared.
Now that I’m a married man with a ring upon my hand,
My life’s been changed by a love so true,
Living for two and living for you.

Once I gladly told myself when my mom was gone,
It was the end of me,
No more calls of raw concern, no reason left for me to be.
Now I find to my surprise, the same concern in your tender eyes.
Now I find were I to die, there’s someone who would cry and miss me.
Now I know when I get home, there’s someone there to gently kiss me.
And wash away the stench of a day that has left me cold and blue.
Someone to have, someone to hold, living for two and living for you.

So I promise now to always call when I say I’m going to,
To get my hair cut regularly and preferably by you.
Never again to take for granted the love you send my way
And to hold you close in thought and act until my dying day.
To trample through the meadow green and sail the ocean blue,
Your hand in mine, a fine vintage wine, living for two, living for you.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2008
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...