Thursday, October 1, 2009

THE NOVELTY OF YOU

THE NOVELTY OF YOU

The newness of it all, like a sparkling Christmas
That shines in memory
Circles my heart in a rosy glow.

From the first time I saw you on a hot day in August,
You tripped a breaker in my heart and caused a fuse to blow.

And even now some eight years later, staring into the rear view,
The feelings still robust and fresh, my passion soars like new,
And it should be fading but it’s not, the novelty of you.

When you come to me, the long day done
And wash up at the bathroom sink.
I sneak up behind on noiseless feet,
And like an impulsive schoolboy,
My desire erupts and smolders,
And I kiss the hairs of your sweet neck
And place my hands on your bare shoulders.

And later as you pay your bills or surf the Net in earnest,
I watch you when you’re unaware, my heart a raging furnace.
It overheats and bubbles over, molten lava on the floor,
Your soul a house with many rooms,
I linger breathless at each door.

To see your naked backside, dripping wet from a long, hot shower,
Your bare feet soft upon the carpet stoke the simmering fire.

The newness of it all, like a shining diamond
On a young bride’s hand,
Envelops my heart in a rosy glow,
And I struggle hard to understand.
How what seems like eons later,
When I gaze into the rear view,
My devotion still unquestioned, my passion ever true,
How it should be fading, but it’s not, the novelty of you.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2007
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...