Saturday, September 26, 2009

KEYS TO THE KINGDOM

KEYS TO THE KINGDOM

My world was a heavily fortressed castle,
In which I lived, a cautious king.
Sad, depressed , and often lonely,
Possessive of the castle keys.

I lived alone and toiled in a dungeon
And told myself that that was fine.
I hid away from the world at large,
Walking the straight and narrow line.

I longed for sweet companionship, but there were never any takers,
For I was balding, growing old, both no-no’s in the land of Dorothy.
So I dug my heels into the ground and wept when no one was around,
Convinced my dreams had been bought and sold a long, long time ago.

Then your goodness stormed the castle,
And battled the demons guarding the moat.
You slew all the dragons in your sensible shoes
And your big and bad designer coat.

And something new came over me, light where there was none before.
The delight of finding a handsome prince just outside my door.

You tidied up the castle, you made it more a home
And you made me far less moody, despondent , and alone.
Inch by inch you healed my past with the fierce resolve of a resolute prince,
And I became alive again, here in the present tense.

And at last I surrendered the keys to the kingdom,
From the floors up to the rafters,
And now we are fairies in our own sweet tale,
Living happily ever after.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2008
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...