Friday, August 14, 2009

WAVE GOODBYE TO WANDERLUST

WAVE GOODBYE TO WANDERLUST

The lantern on the doorstep shines its halogen
through the dark night.

Welcome beacon to a world-weary soul,
Our house is bathed in light.

I leave my knapsack on the porch, take off my ratty shoes
And bathe my tired feet in bathwater sweet.

You always had an open door, whenever I would wander far.
My restless spirit yearns to land and settle right here where you are.

The lantern on our doorstep burns vigilant as an armored guard.
Cornered by its sleuthing eye, I make my way across the yard.

I see you at the screen door, barefoot, bare-chested,
Lifting your weights in those baby blue shorts.
And love begins where it left off.

Your smell that I remember well, the easy give and take we share.

The lantern on our doorstep shines its halogen through the blackness.
The nights pass sweet and dear, lying soft against your naked flesh.

I leave my knapsack on the porch, my dreams in your safekeeping,
My body here beside you on this precious bed,

Home and safe in welcome arms, at long last just the two of us,
I say a fond farewell to travel, wave goodbye to wanderlust.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2008
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...