Friday, July 31, 2009

THE LEARNING CURVE

LEARNING CURVE

I’m discovering how to wear the dawn,
Lightly like a powdery snow.
To calm my breath and close my eyes
As thoughts go clattering to and fro.

Each morning brings a moment fine,
A chalice of the choicest wine.
I will drink that wine until I’m high.
Tasting life until I die.

I’m discovering how to sail along
The stormy seas I did not choose.
And take in sights that tantalize,
The mountains and the ocean views.

I’m discovering how to love and treasure
The obstacles that block my way.
Put away my bitterness, postpone it yet another day.

I’m discovering how to love the stage
I prance upon in clumsy steps.
The greasepaint and the brightest rouge,
Mementoes I have proudly kept.

I’m discovering how to love a man
Whose footsteps echo next to mine.
To hold him close and not let go
Despite the ravages of time.

I’m discovering how to bear the nights,
That stretch before me dark and long.
To listen to the coyote’s howl,
And the hoot owl’s mournful song.

I’m learning how to wear the dawn,
Gentle as the morning rain.
To thumb my nose at sticks and stones
And toughen up against the pain.

To hold on tight with sheer delight,
To the wonder of each passing day.
Hugging tight to the learning curve,
As I go my merry way.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2008
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...