Thursday, July 30, 2009

JUST GETTING STARTED

JUST GETTING STARTED

What if I’m living a life blessed and charmed,
And all my talk of doom and gloom is just a false alarm?
What if I have gone and closed the coffin lid too soon
And I have years before me to hum a happy tune?

And yes, it’s true that life is short,
Yet some folks live to a ripe old age,
And though I might not fit the cohort,
There may be ink left to dabble on the page.

What if like Moses and the seas he once parted,
I’m only chomping at the bit, and just now getting started.

What if my grandest dreams are waiting in the corridor,
And all I really need to do is open up the door,
Inviting in the company of friends I’ve not yet met.
What if I’m just getting started, what if I’m just getting set?
And all I need to prosper is to follow my own bliss.
Keeping the eye on the precious prize, the lottery of happiness.

What if all the time spent lost and brokenhearted
Is just the grand precursor of myself just getting started?
Of racing my motor and screeching my tires,
Of soaring on angel’s wings higher and higher.

What if I’m living a life that’s found favor,
With decades to go and years left to savor.
Then surely the heavens have the last laugh on me,
Surely the saints are giggling with glee,
And God himself must be chuckling with mirth
At all of these years I have wasted on earth.

What if I’m about to fall into the life I always dreamed?
What if all my troubles up and float right down the stream?
What if I’m about to sail on rivers yet uncharted?
What if I’m just cutting loose and just now getting started?

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2009
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...