Sunday, June 28, 2009

LIKE GANGBUSTERS

LIKE GANGBUSTERS

I want to wake like gangbusters, and hurdle out the door
With all the gusto I can summon so early in the morn.

And watch the sunrise sail its pink ship across the sky
When the rest of the world is fast asleep,
And it’s just me and the soulful birds,
Who can sing the sweetest harmonies that I have ever heard.

I want to live like gangbusters, be life short or long,
To eat my share of chocolate, to hear beloved songs.
To have my share of dreams come true, to reap my share of joy.
To bear my sorrow like a man, my rapture like a little boy.

I want to love like gangbusters, to send you flowers for no reason,
To tempt you with exotic fruit like mangoes out of season.

To pull up to your front door with a truck of Macy’s cards
Or your very own ice cream machine.
To pitch a tent for just one night and sleep under the stars,
A penny for your thoughts and a thousand for your dreams.

I want to come out like gangbusters in a splashy gay parade,
To come from the shadows into the sunshine,
To splash my queer agenda all over the front page.

I want for people everywhere to be gentle, to be free,
To break the bonds of hatred and the scourge of poverty.

I want to sleep like gangbusters at the end of my raucous day,
A deep and peaceful, restful slumber, when the Sandman comes to stay,

I want to live like gangbusters, however sad this world shall be,
For someone must be joyful and it may as well be me.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2008
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...