Friday, May 22, 2009

WHEN THE LIGHT FADES

WHEN THE LIGHT FADES

When the light fades and it’s time for me to go,
Just draw the curtains ‘round my bed and unplug the machines,
And let me slip away unnoticed, sailing on some pleasant dream.

And whether it be drug induced or the euphoria of going home,
Let me breathe my final breaths here in this bed, blessed and alone.

When the light fades, as it surely must one day,
Remember there’s a time and place, and let me go with style and grace,
For there’s no turning back from the clickety clack
Of that long black train as it straddles the track.

So drape a blanket around my shoulders,
Place a kiss upon my forehead.
Remember all the joyful times,
The things we did, the things we said.
And do not sit and weep for me, for the mighty rivers overflow
With tears for the loved ones and friends who must go,
For as hard as we fight and as hard as we try,
No one’s getting out alive.

Just celebrate my life with me, all it was or could ever be
And I will be rich in memories to comfort me on my journey.
And you will have the photographs, the late night talks, the bedtime laughs.
All my little habit and remembered quirks.
Life was like a blessed dream, and you and I we had the works.

When the light fades and it’s time for me to go,
Just draw the curtains ‘round my bed and unplug the machines
And let me fade away unnoticed, sailing on some pleasant dream.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2008
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...