Saturday, May 30, 2009

OFF THE DEEP END

OFF THE DEEP END

The mania is coming, I can feel it once again.
My lucky penny’s working, the party can begin.

Here I come just flying, Superman in tights,
Diving off the deep end, the shoreline not in sight.

Down as low as you could go, as sad as you could want to be,
Heaven’s angels’ high neglect getting up and leaving me.

Lost and stranded in my old familiar sorrow.
I’ve lost the voice of reason, and I fear for my tomorrow.

I’m diving like a suicidal bird, a stubborn cow against the herd,
A sparrow flying low to where the evening casts its blackened rainbow.

Off the deep end like a helpless child, wandering to and fro.

I will soar and I will crash, it will all be over in a flash.
Another’s treasure is my trash, the earth my holy trash bin.

I fall upon its double-edged sword, bleeding from the shin.

The mania is coming, like a lightning fast parade.
My body heat is rising as I stumble toward the shade.

Friends they try to calm and soothe the elemental fear,
But all is toil and turmoil and the residue of tears.

Here I come just soaring, crashing hard,
Splitting the crotch of my Superman tights.

My heart is lost in palpitations,
It will not go gently into that dark night.

A weary soul has had its workout, done its share of deep knee bends,
And crashes without warning, hurling reckless off the deep end.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2008
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...