Friday, April 3, 2009

THE SHADOWS KNOW

THE SHADOWS KNOW

On a billboard I proclaim my love, the sweetness of my life and times
For passersby to note and marvel, such happiness and joy sublime.

The grin I paint on for my friend, the smile I plaster on my face
Is steadfast in its stoicalness and stately in its grace.

But the pain that leaves me hunched and limping,
The shadows see and the shadows know.

Plumbing the depths of my midnight soul,
Snuffing out the candle glow.

The loneliness that frets and moans and teeters on the shaky brink,
It cuts a swath of deadly gloom, a bitter brew of which I drink.

The misery that calls my name, the cynicism in my eyes.

The damaged goods that I’ve become, the shattered trust, the broken ties.

The tumult of my restless nights, the shadows see and the shadows know.
Phantoms hiding in the darkness, noiselessly they come and go.

Armed with protestations meek and helpless ‘neath their swift advance,
I throw my white flag on the field for infidels and miscreants.

The glory days dissolve in shade, the bed of disillusion made.
I toss and turn on jagged pillows, all my trees are weeping willows.

And all the battles I am losing, the shadows see and the shadows know,
Plumbing the depths of my arsenal, a bloody corpse upon the snow.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2008
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...