Tuesday, April 21, 2009

HEART AMONG THE RUINS

HEART AMONG THE RUINS

Waiting with trepidation in the corridor to your soul,
Hearing your wild heart beat hard on the precipice of tomorrow.
Learning how the days pass slow and long in the depths of your maiden sorrow.

I knew you a long time ago, when you were the favored child of Fate.
When the sun shone hot on your countenance and turned the great tide to vanquish hate.

Knowing how you braved the oceans, seeing how you calmed the storm,
Riding shotgun on your shoulders beneath these covers soft and warm.

I found you underneath the rubble and steeled my heart against the tide,
The tide of all your scourge and trouble, that upstart horse you once did ride.
You threw your arms around me in a moment so divine,
Whispered your kind blessings, turned my water into wine.

And I became your lover fair, infused with hope in the daylight air
And consumed your love like a famished child, perishing in the haunted wild.

Waiting in the soft, sad green room of your heart,
Where memories turn as pale as ghosts and like the seas do part.
I trace the steps to yesterday, lost in the haze of your perfume
And find myself a lonely traveler, heart among the ruins.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2008
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...