Sunday, June 30, 2024

CEMETERY MUSINGS

 CEMETERY MUSINGS

Do the dead know the answers?

Does proximity to the soil help to unravel ultimate mysteries?

 I just know it is all too peaceful, all too green and trusting,

The clutter of fallen autumn leaves whispers the mortality of man.

Red, yellow and orange entities crunch beneath my murderous feet.


All the names on tombstones seem so old 

Impersonal warnings that the big sleep will also claim me.

An impetus to growth, to living fully in the now.

As I grow older, I hope to be less cautious,

Ready to plum the nectar of life unafraid of mistakes and misgivings.


Am I living by the scheme of nature?

Do the dead know I am plunging toward disaster?

They will not speak now.

They will forever hold their peace.

The autumn chill sets in, but the dead don't seem to mind.

I just know it is all too peaceful...


-Bruce Potts

Copyright 2024

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...