Friday, October 13, 2023

IN THE HALLWAY

IN THE HALLWAY 

In the hallway ghosts and spunky spirits gossip on the state of my health. 

They think I do not know this and that they operate in stealth.

When in fact a noisy silence permeates the air,                   

Friendly formless figures float silent on the stair

Meanwhile I notice a spider spinning his web upon my door,

An artisan who knows his craft while prancing on my floor. 

I think to loudly protest but endorse his enterprise.

I look upon this spider with understanding eyes.    

He teases and entices me with his accuracy and speed.

Chilling me and thrilling me with an early Halloween.

His chutzpah and tenaciousness are marvels to be seen.                                                                                                                                                                    

In the hallway come the noiseless footfalls of kinfolk who have passed,

From this world to another realm into which my fortunes cast.

I want to join them in the foyer but I sense it's not my time,

But their presence soothes and comforts me, so gentle and benign.

Meanwhile the kindly spider is almost finished with his weaving,

My heart at last seems reconciled with the sweet release of leaving.

My fortunes flow snd ebb but I'm not yet trapped in the spider's web.

I still must have some business here, so for now I try to stall,

Those knowing kindly spirits that await me in the hall.


-Bruce Potts

Copyright 2023

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...