Saturday, June 20, 2015

LEPRECHAUNS

LEPRECHAUNS

For my partner it's a day tour,
Steeped in ancient history,
The fabled Giant's causeway.
The stunning cliffs of Moher.
The old familiar mystery
Of a land rich to explore.
For me another hotel room,
Nothing less and nothing more.

My only request strong coffee each morning,
And a sandwich each day for my strength.
Music to play on my Amazon cloud,
To enjoy and indulge in at length.
In my mind I visit Yeats's grave,
The shores of Connemara,
If, alas, my muscles would behave,
I'd be more than just a stowaway.
Salmon and eggs at the Bittersweet Cafe,
Lunch at the Queen of Tarts, 
Delectable, divine displays of the culinary arts.

Days of repose and music at the Harding Hotel,
Leisurely I passed the time,
And listened to the Christchurch bells
As on the hour they chimed.
The drinking far into the night
At Darkey Kelly's pub.
The sounds of live music playing,
In the din of raucous clubs.

Still this is Ireland, land of rainbows,
With pots of gold in between,
And it's only fair that while here on this green,
Leprechauns should dance in my dreams.

Leprechauns in floppy hats,
Jumping like Jehoshaphat,
Wake up, they say, the day is yours,
Do with it what you may,
Whether rainbow seeker or daytime sleeper,
The lessons are yours for the learning,
The tide of history turning.

Leprechauns preening in front of mirrors,
Leprechauns drawing ever nearer,
Leprechauns asking what-cha doin', 
Skating on the road to ruin,
Leprechauns asking with a nod and a wink,
Leprechauns leaping in the bathroom sink.

I too am a leprechaun, leaping in one place,
These fantasies are of my making,
A Parkinsonian with a frozen face,
Whether still or occasionally shaking..
My only request to be left alone,
With a sandwich, my coffee and tunes,
Still this is Ireland and at night in my dreams,
The leprechauns lightly leap over the moon.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2015
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...