Friday, February 13, 2015

ROADSIDE GRAVE

ROADSIDE GRAVE

Give me a simple funeral,
And dig me a roadside grave.
I am happiest in the company
Of the fool, the rogue, and the knave.

I was never one to sit and debate
What Shakespeare really meant.
I really couldn't care one whit less,
What was the Bard's intent.

I loved the beauty of his words,
They had a magic all their own,
Appealing to the common ear,
Yet strangely numb to the scholar's drone.

So bury me with the ordinary,
The orphan and the widow,
With a bed of tulips solitary,
That can be seen by the bedroom window.
Where I sat and wrote these final words
In my puffy profound middle age.
Do not shed any crocodile tears
As I turn and exit the stage.

I leave behind a body of work
That I pray speaks for itself,
And I would rather be read and enjoyed,
Than to gather dust on some ancient shelf.

English majors all be damned,
In the end a simple man is really all I am.
So bury me by a roadside motel
Or a house of ill repute,
In the end it's all the same to me,
A railroad grave would also suit.

But nothing ostentatious, nothing just for show,
Perhaps some hopeless mound of earth
Behind the train depot.
Just leave me a little breathing room,
Place some violets on my tomb.
Better yet, scatter my ashes in some bright and sunny meadow,
For I am claustrophobic and fear the final shadows.

Just give me a simple burial
And dig me a roadside grave.
I am happiest in the company
Of the fool, the rogue, and the knave.

-Bruce Potts
Revised Copyright 2015
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...