Saturday, November 16, 2013

IN THE GLIMMER OF MIDNIGHT

IN THE GLIMMER OF MIDNIGHT

In the glimmer of midnight, near the stroke of twelve,
I shall breathe my last, like some sneaky elf,
I will lie so quiet and so frail,
In the sheen of the witching hour,
I will wilt away like a jilted flower,
Letting out my final exhale.

In the glimmer of midnight, I will slip away,
Not waiting for the light of another day.
I will breathe my name to the eternal flame
That burns forever bright,
And then I shall trip stealthily,
Into the arms of the sacred night.

I will not stand on ceremony,
I may not even wake my lover,
Who sleeps unaware beside me,
Tucked beneath the covers.
When it's time to go, no flashing lights,
No sirens and no magistrate,
Most of all no weeping fools,
Begging to resuscitate.

When I go, it will be quietly,
Because I lived a quiet man,
And let it just be said of me,
I lived this life as best one can.
One foot in the terrestrial,
One wing in the celestial.
Time to set the second wing free,
And mount the chariot to the skies,
That now has come for me.

Into the glimmer of midnight quick my soul,
Before I change my mind,
And burn with the jagged memory,
Of those I leave behind.
Into the magic, God's hedge of protection,
Surround me as I quickly go.
But those that now I leave behind,
Never doubt how I loved you so.

Do not try to bring me back,
Don't hold my nose and breathe me air,
Or pound my chest with paddles.
Just let me dance through the window,
Into the brilliant starlight fair.
With all the sprites and all the angels,
Alas I shall move free,
No more the fate of uneven gait,
No more falls for me.

In the glimmer of midnight, let me slip away while sleeping,
While entertaining the glean of a quieting dream,
To drown out any sound of weeping.
Then lift me without hesitating,
Most blessed God of levitating,
Into your loving arms,
Lift my body tired and frail,
Blaze across the skies a trail.
Receive my praise, accept my alms,
And catch my final exhale.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2013
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...