Saturday, October 26, 2013

NOT NOW, BUT IN THE NEW AGE

NOT NOW, BUT IN THE NEW AGE

(FOR GAY COUPLES EVERYWHERE
WHO ARE USHERING IN THE NEW AGE
OF MARRIAGE EQUALITY)

Not now, but in the new age,
Where women can court women
And men can romance men.
I shall feel no shame uttering your name,
Our vanquished love shall usher forth again.

Not now, but in the new age, there will be no time to tarry,
No more self-righteous bigots forbidding us to marry.
The grooms atop the wedding cake, will both hold hands and smile,
And educate the wedding guests with the elements of style,
From the new age Emily Post, we will gladly tear a page,
Of wedding tips and etiquette, full of wisdom sage.
At last all this will come to pass, not now, but in the new age.

So sweet baby blue, don't cry too long in the rain,
It's not worth it and besides,
The love we feel inside,
Is the sweet love of a lifetime 
And can well withstand the pain, 
Of strangers who can't understand,
Men together walking, arm in arm and hand in hand.

Sweet baby blue, don't give it all up in a flash,
Do not leave our love to smolder,
To burn out and then crash.
For our love was meant to grow,
Together hand in hand.
Not now, but in the new age,
You'll come to understand.

The method to my madness,
The remnants of my dream,
That I was always your da Vinci,
With my great grand color scheme.
That you were always in the end,
My grandest love, my greatest friend,
My talisman through sorrow.
You were always dear to me,
My passport to tomorrow.

Sweet man in a blaze, I remember you beneath the sheets,
I know forbidden places hidden in your thighs,
I have known and seen misgivings in your silent angel eyes,

I have seen your grisly nights,
And I have breathed your tragic days.
Still love conquers all in a passion inspired haze,
And I will carry you on strong shoulders through the Book of Life.

I will leaf your limbs and chest.
I will read your mind, page by solemn page.
And we will stand unconvicted in nakedness,
Not now, but in the new age.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2013
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Author's note: Thank you all for reading each week. Today I celebrate the publishing of this blog's 500th poem!  As for this poem, it was written a long time ago when I was still in college and before Kyle and I met. Then I recently rewrote it, now that gay marriage is becoming a reality. Hoping it is one day legalized here in Virginia. A new age indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...