Saturday, August 18, 2012

SO WARM, SO TRUE, SO GOLDEN

SO WARM, SO TRUE, SO GOLDEN

(FOR KYLE, ON OUR ELEVENTH ANNIVERSARY)

There is nothing magic in numbers,
Except perhaps to a Wall Street hack,
And eleven years seems a long, long time,
In my rear view mirror looking back.

I always knew our love was passion,
I always felt the raging fire,
But now it’s more like a tree-lined street,
With a lone bird singing on the wire.

The sight of you straight from the shower
Can still send my passion over the edge,
But day to day, love’s a sheltering bower,
That calls me away from the ledge.

My demons yell useless, my demons yell jump.
But yours is the voice of reason I heed.
You nurture the wound, get me over the hump,
With the kick in the pants that I need.

Our passion is hot, but our love runs the deepest,
When the road is the roughest and the hill is the steepest.
My only complaint on this sun drenched ride,
Is the lack of time in bed by your side,
Love consummated in spoon.

The touch of your hand is the lay of the land.
And still sends me over the moon,
I’m all the while grateful and wearing a smile,
Mindful of time disappearing too soon.

Work takes you away from me, and love won’t pay the bills,
But to see your face is a touch of grace,
Like flowers are to a windowsill.
And when I hear the garage door open at the end of your long day,
I count my blessings silently that God sent you my way.

I hear your feet caress the stairs,
We share the day its joys and cares,
And in the end what more is there,
Than to look into your eyes and stare.

No, there’s nothing magic in numbers,
But eleven years seems a long, long time,
For your beloved footsteps to coalesce with mine.
I’m happy for the sexual tension and happy for the heat,
I’m happy for the years we’ve passed, the mystery and mystique.
But most of all I’m happy for the lone bird singing,
Upon the fencepost on our tree-lined street,
The flowers laid upon my heart so fragrant and so sweet.

I remind myself on this grand anniversary,
I remind myself eleven years in,
True love is more than a passing fancy.
True love is finding a soul mate and friend
Love is more than just passion and heat,
Love is plush teddy bears that say I love you,
A peck on the lips before sleep.

I’m well aware of how I’m blessed,
Beloved man of grand finesse.
Eleven years of sailing these smooth and rocky seas,
The hourglass it has shattered, suspended in deep freeze.
You have stood by me so gallantly,
Through good times, through disease.
A million kindnesses you give,
Within this storybook we live
I thank you now for all of these,
And know how deeply I’m beholden.
For all the gifts you have given me.
So warm, so true, so golden.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2012
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Note: Today is the anniversary of Kyle and me meeting exactly eleven years ago. Love you, my dear, and thank you for being always "so warm, so true, so golden".

2 comments:

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...